Monday, August 01, 2005

Tags

A couple of months back I found myself at a cross roads. My enlistment was up, my attitude was not where it had to be for a leader, and I didn't know where to go. Twelve years is a long time to commit to anything and the military has a way of making a job in to a way of life. I ended up singing the papers for six years. I got some money to stay but that was not part of the decision. What really made my mind up was an upcoming deployment to the sand box. I realized that I couldn't leave when my unit needed me more than ever. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that there are many that could lead my squad should I go. But that isn't what a soldier can do or live with.

That is when I decided to start wearing my id tags (dog tags) at all times. To remind me and others of the commitment that I and many before me have made. I am privileged to be able to serve my country, my unit and my men. I will stand along side of my fellow soldiers and answer the call because if we don't, who will?

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Gregory Roberts said...

I wear mine all the time because I'm proud of the uniform and what personal sacrifices I've had to make to wear it.

Fuck, we were army brats as kids, and with only a short break in service after dad retired and before you and I enlisted, that makes the army a part of us. There is no denying that.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Zeke said...

All good reasons for staying in. My enlistment doesn't end until right before we get back. I won't be re-enlisting. It was a tough decision to make, and who knows, maybe down the road...."maybe" I'll get back in, but right now, I have a family to think of. I am proud to have served and thankfull for the friends. I recently started wearing my tags again full time. I used to, then I thought it was tacky, then I realized I was silly. After I heard about the WWII pog that decided he could be a px ranger and started wearing the congressional medal of honor and stuff, I thought to myself, self, darling self, thats fucked up. For some reason, that is when I donned my tags once again.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Pabstman said...

I give you a tag to be proud of.

No but seriously, what oyu guys do for a living outside of normal life is amazing. Some taking care of a family, and some going to school, and some tryng to hold a steady job all while trying to protect our country. People need to recognize what oyu do fora living and what oyu have dedicated your life to, and make sure that they thank you for that.

Thanks A Million All
Pabstman

11:47 PM  
Blogger proud fan said...

hang in there -- you have a ton of support!

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home